For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Home is Where the Central Cardio-pulmonary Organ Is, and see what else has been going on.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I don't think I could do it! - updated

As someone who enjoys shows like Iron Chef and other cooking shows, one thing I've never been able to get a handle on is how much raw flesh is touted as a delicacy. Each to their own, I guess, but I just don't think I'd be able to take a piece of raw beef, even if it's Kobe, and eat it. Not my thing.

Which makes me both grossed out and impressed by this...

GG shows solidarity with seal hunters

Hundreds of Inuit at a community festival gathered around as Jean knelt above a pair of carcasses and used a traditional ulu blade to slice the meat off the skin.

After repeated, vigorous slashes through the flesh the Queen's representative turned to the woman beside her and asked enthusiastically: "Could I try the heart?"

Within seconds Jean was holding a dripping chunk of seal-ticker, which she tucked into her mouth, swallowed whole, and turned to her daughter to say it tasted good.

*shudder*

Of course, the descriptive language in the article is pretty graphic. Where, in the cooking shows, raw meat is described in all sorts of glowing, delicious sounding terms, you just don't hear things like "... the bleeding heart pulled out of its furry, flabby carcass..." or terms like "oozing organ."

I wonder what sort of language would be used if Bobby Flay or Mario Batali were preparing a seal carcass on one of their shows?

Interestingly, it sounds like seal meat is healthier than more standard fare, such as beef or poultry. I'd love to try it - cooked!! - but it's not exactly available in the grocery stores. ;-)


update: Well, that didn't take long...

Gov. Gen's actions offensive: animal rights group

Note that this article quotes a spokesman from the Humane Society International. The Canadian Humane Society, which is a separate organization, regularly looks into the seal hunt and has declared the methods used and the hunt itself as humane.

Michaelle Jean, the Sarah Palin of of Canada?

This rather bizarre blog post is amusing, if ignorant. For starters, apparently there's something wrong with the GG wearing patriotic colours. Heaven forbid! The writer doesn't seem to know the difference between a Governor and a Governor General. In a nutshell, the GG is Canada's head of state, second only to HRH, Queen Elizabeth, and our military Commander in Chief, among other titles and roles. It's a non-partisan, appointed position. Largely ceremonial, the GG serves 5 year terms, though I don't know that there are any limitations to how many terms one person can be GG, and outranks our PM. Where a Governor actively governs and is politically partisan, the GG stays out of the day-to-day activities of running the country, but has the final say in various areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line...